注册

欢迎您, 今天是 *君子自重,本網站嚴禁賣廣告, 發放, 或宣傳色情色情行業*

搜索
查看: 3263|回復: 2

好文共賞:Victor's story

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2013-6-11 11:37:32 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
背景:文章中這些新字都是語言學專家Erin McKean於2013年3月份在《華爾街日報》的報道中找出來的。

Beard is not the same as moustache. I love to grow beard because I think it's sexy to wear it; and I never understand why some people suffer from pogonophobia ①. I teach business journalism at Hong Kong Baptist University and one day I discussed Japan's quantitative-easing financial policy in a business news writing class. A woman student from the mainland raised her hand and asked me what the difference between a reflationist ② and an inflationist ③ is.
After class, she ambushed me in the corridor outside the classroom and continued to inquire how internship differs from returnship ④. I admire her commitment to learning. I explained to her in detail until my legs became weak. She was adamant not to let me go. She then complained she suffered from anosmia ⑤ and hoped that I could provide her with a solution. I am not a medical expert. I told her to see a doctor.
She reminded me of my high school days. When I was young I attended a secondary school run by the La Salle brothers from Germany. The school principal was Rev. brother Felix. And hence I know a little bit about the Catholic Church. For instance, I know the period between a Pope's resignation and the election of a new Pope is called "sede vacante" ⑥.

Pogonophobia = 恐懼鬍子

馮強短評
好辭彙共賞:
① pogonophobia = pogono是希臘文,意思是鬍子(beard)。Phobia是恐懼害怕的意思(A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation)。Social phobia是社交恐懼症。
② reflationist = 政府拼命印鈔票會引發通貨膨脹(pumping money into the economy will jump-start inflation)。
③ inflationist = 那些喜歡通貨膨脹的人。Runaway inflation = 如脫韁之馬的通貨膨脹。Inflation的相反是deflation(通貨收縮)。
④ returnship = 我的朋友Jo Jo是投資銀行家,失業了兩年。最近有家銀行請他工作三個月去完成一些計劃專案。這些短暫的工作英文叫returnship。
⑤ anosmia = 嗅覺缺失(loss of the sense of smell)。Hyposmia是漸漸嗅覺減弱(a decreased ability to smell)。Hyperosmia則剛剛相反,意思是嗅覺增強(an increased ability to smell)。
⑥ sede vacante = sede vacante是拉丁文,意思是教皇的位置空了。Sede的英文是seat(座位)。Vacante的英文是vacant(空)。

短評共賞:
這些詞語可以增強我們英文寫作的能力。我的啟悟是若我們懂多一些外語,例如拉丁文,將對我們的英文寫作很有幫助。

馮強
浸會大學傳理學院財經新聞統籌主任
發表於 2013-6-11 14:17:38 | 顯示全部樓層
發表於 2013-6-12 10:21:32 | 顯示全部樓層
食晏時再欣賞,thanks
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 注册

本版積分規則

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|港灣豪庭論壇 admin@mhvlive.com

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 23:52 , Processed in 0.020110 second(s), 16 queries .

Metro Harbor Village Forum mhvlive X3.4

mhvlive © 2008-2022, Tai Kok Tsui

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表